Thursday, June 17, 2010

Year of the Cat, Chef Cora's Sizzling Success

In my quest to expand my culinary adventures, I have made many great connections. One of my favorite places to visit is Macy's Union Square in San Francisco where I am "drawn to the kitchen" to be a part of some exciting events as a guest chef or sous chef to world class local and international chefs.


I am fortunate to work for and with a lot of famous (and infamous) chefs, clients and guests. I love it and I will never get tired of it, even if they (very rarely) are a major prima donna. The difficult ones can actually be quite fun and an entertaining experience. Most often, there is quite a bit of magic surrounding these individuals. They are often famous for a reason and their star power is instantly discernible. In rare and very special occasions, I meet a person with this level of "star power" and true humility. That, my friends is Iron Chef Cat Cora.  http://www.catcoracooks.com/



I have been asked this so many times...So, let's get this out of the way. YES, she is just as beautiful in person. And, yes, she is HOT! As she came out from her hiding place behind a pot and pan display to greet the huge crowd at Macy's she said, "Yes, I know, I am shorter than I look on TV!" She is really tiny, about 5'2" and that was a surprise. Since I am 4'11", it just made me love her more. What is fun about Cat is that these physical details are in stark contrast to the big, macho, competitive, male dominated culinary world that she moves so easily through. Also, she has a lot of grace and hints of a languid southern accent from her childhood in Mississippi, truly adding to her appeal.


Chef Cora cooked from her new book, "Cat Cora's Classics with a Twist", her versions of great dishes done "healthier, lighter and easier". I helped set up her "mise en place" trays for her demo of Grilled Chili and Lime Flank Steak Tacos with Pineapple Salsa and Grapefruit and Cherry Ambrosia with Honey Cream. She is bringing back ambrosia, fresh style. Other recipes I want to try include, Ginger Matzo Ball Soup with White Miso and Scallions, Chicken Stroganoff with Tarragon and Mustard, and a fabulous looking Red Velvet Coconut Cake.


She arrived directly from a TV spot and was still smiling the whole time. She explained that she had hit 12 cities in 10 days on her book tour, New York, Chicago, San Francisco and many in between. She shared a "secret" about her book cover, "See that big salad bowl in front of me? Well I was 8 months pregnant at the time and 'surprise' they decided to shoot the cover!" Both Cat and her partner were pregnant at the same time, so now they have 4 boys! She looks incredible on the cover, of course.


She revealed another big secret, that is just leaking out, she was chosen by Oprah for a new cooking show on her new network!
 Working with her was fabulous, she is so grateful and immediately thanked us in front of the crowd. What a class act. Hard to believe this is the same lady that kicks culinary butt with the big boys on Iron Chef.



I have a lot more to share about her secrets from Iron Chef; how she was first chosen, what happens behind the scenes and Cat even revealed her strategy! Stay tuned on Tuesday and I will share that and much more from my kitchen time with Chef Cora. An incredible family with two new kids, a great new book and a show with Oprah, it truly is Cat's year!





After the event, I assisted her with the book signing, she was cracking me up and look, still smiling!

2 comments:

Diana Mahoney said...

Can't wait to read more on Tuesday!! Great recap of your so fun culinary adventures....I love your positivity - it bounces off the text....Cat's recipes sound delish!
Take Care Rachelle!
Diana Mahoney

Chef Sally said...

Looks like you had a ball Rachelle! I would loved to have been there and met her. She seems awesome! What a terrific opportunity!

Post a Comment